CHIEF'S HIGHLIGHT OF THE WEEK: It has been 2 weeks since the unfortunate defeat of Measure E

Hemet Police Department's photo.
CHIEF'S HIGHLIGHT OF THE WEEK: It has been 2 weeks since the unfortunate defeat of Measure E, a proposed 1% sales tax increase that would have seriously enhanced our ability to protect our citizens and improve quality of life in Hemet. While it's been hard to identify a "highlight" in the weeks following the election, I have found renewed hope in the hundreds of phone calls, text messages and emails I've received from concerned citizens. Most people expressed sadness, some were angry, others were just looking for a word of encouragement...but all were very supportive of the work our officers and civilian staff do for the community.
It's not in my nature to be negative. I learned from my dad that there is always a bright side, even though sometimes you have to dig deep to find it. I'm still digging, and like so many Hemet citizens and Hemet Police Employees and Volunteers, I'm not about to give up. I've been encouraged by the hundreds of messages and conversations with Hemet citizens pledging to stand united and continue the fight for our city.
In the 2 weeks following the election, there have been 6 violent assaults on Hemet Police officers, 4 high speed pursuits, 2 robberies and an attempted car jacking in Hemet. A 28 year old former Marine and father of 2 young children was stabbed to death in downtown Hemet in the early morning hours on Father's Day.
These crimes weigh heavily on me, our department and our community. There are victims and family members whose lives are forever altered by these criminal acts. I am not okay with that. I reject the notion that a certain level of crime is acceptable. Crime in Hemet is a serious problem and we need to be united and aggressive about attacking it. The highlight of my week has been hearing from hundreds of people who agree.

Comments