LOS ANGELES, Calif. (Dec. 31, 2015) -- In an incident that was caught on video, Los Angeles firefighters extinguished the flames from a burning hoverboard in the Koreatown neighborhood on Wednesday.
Firefighters from Station 13 were returning from a medical call when they were diverted to the flaming hoverboard in the 900 block of South Vermont Avenue about 11:20 a.m., according to Margaret Stewart with the Los Angeles Fire Department.
The hoverboard, she said, was “fully involved.”
Firefighters called it “pretty impressive,” Stewart said.
Video of the incident sent to KTLA showed the smoking hoverboard stopped on a sidewalk.
“Well, it happened. My board just caught on fire today,” says board owner Delvon Simmons in the video. “My board just burned up.”
Simmons told KTLA he was riding his hoverboard in the sidewalk, following a police officer who was pulling someone over. When he passed the officer, the board "exploded," he said.
In the video, a police officer stopped on his motorcycle says he'll “call someone to put it out.” The officer called LAFD, Simmons said.
About 30 seconds after Simmons' video begins, a sizzling noise comes from the board, which begins to flame up.
“There it goes,” Simmons says. “Six hundred dollars down the drain.”
Sirens are soon heard in the background.
“People, if you’ve got one these in your house, I suggest you get it out,” Simmons says. “Otherwise your house is going to burn down.”
Then a firefighter picks the flaming board up and another firefighter sprays it with a hose.
The flames were extinguished and no one was injured, Stewart said.
Considered a top Christmas present this year, hoverboards have been in the spotlight after multiple incidents of the toys catching fire.
KTLA's Scott Williams and Feven Kiflegiorgis contributed to this article.
‘Hoverboard’ bursts into flames inside Westchester home: fire officials
WESTCHESTER – 'Hoverboards' are the hottest holiday gadget of the year – now they are literally bursting into flames.
Chappaqua fire officials are warning residents not to leave hoverboards plugged in after one of the devices torched a Westchester living room.
According to the fire department, the owner was charging the hoverboard when it malfunctioned and caught fire, charring the floor below. No one was hurt in the incident, and someone was home to extinguish the blaze.
For fans of "Back to the Future," the 'hoverboards' of 2015 won't take you across a pond – they actually just roll along the sidewalk on two wheels, accelerating as the user leans forward. Despite the inability to hover, they retail for hundreds of dollars.
The upstate fire is just the latest reported case of the highly-coveted items catching fire – a Washington state mall was evacuated after a hoverboard exploded and shot across the floor.
Five days before Thanksgiving, a Louisiana family lost their home after a "Fit Turbo" caught fire and destroyed the house in the process.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission, a federal agency, "strongly encourages" consumers to report any product safety issues on their website, safeproducts.gov.
Shocking moment man's hoverboard EXPLODED under his feet - while another is blamed for burning down a family's home
- Timothy Cade was riding his new hoverboard scooter last Friday
- It exploded and burst into flames beneath his feet in Gulf Shores, Alabama
- Cade recorded video of it on fire as he struggled to put out the flames
- Jessica Horne bought a hoverboard for her 12-year-old son, Hayden
- She says it exploded and caught fire while he was charging it in his room
- The family's home in Lafitte, Louisiana was destroyed in the fire
- Hoverboards range in price from $300 to $900, however cheaper models cost as low as $150
The popular hoverboard scooter is one of the hottest gifts of this holiday season, but buyers beware. An Alabama man's exploded beneath his feet and caught fire, while another family is blaming the device for burning down their Louisiana home.
Timothy Cade was riding his brand new hoverboard scooter that he purchased from a seller on Amazon last Friday when it suddenly exploded and caught fire beneath his feet outside in Gulf Shores, Alabama.
'I came outside turned it on, came down the sidewalk not even a 100 feet, and it exploded,' Cade, who wasn't injured, told WKRG.
'Batteries started shooting out of it; you would not expect a fire like that to come out of a little thing like that. I was not expecting something like that.'
Above Cade holds some parts from the hoverboard that landed a few feet away after exploding out of the device
Cade quickly grabbed his phone and started to record the device, which was fully engulfed in flames on the sidewalk of the apartment complex.
'I was yelling my mom's name, and she ran out with some baking soda because I didn't know what to put on that type of fire,' he told WKRG.
The baking soda didn't help extinguish the fire, as the video shows more flames started to shoot up higher from the highly sought after device.
Despite the dangerous and potentially deadly situation, Cade plans on buying a replacement from a different manufacturer
With his hoverboard gone, Cade is trying to secure a refund from the seller on Amazon, but he's having a bit of difficulty.
'I've sent this lady, numerous and numerous amount of messages,' he told WKRG.
Despite the dangerous and potentially deadly situation, Cade plans on buying a replacement from a different manufacturer. Hoverboards range in price from $300 to 900, but cheaper models cost as low as $150.
'They're so fun; I would take more precaution with the batteries because I think it was the batteries that blew up,' he shared with WKRG.
'If that was a kid to have that happen, or imagine if that was in your house?' he told WKRG.
MORE VIDEOS OF HOVERBOARDS EXPLODING